PeteAbe has written up some meaningful advice for A-Rod prior to his press conference today at 1:30 p.m.
Here’s Pete’s advice:
1. Admit everything you did in an opening statement. Get ahead of the upcoming book and marginalize it. You know better than Selena Roberts or anybody else what you actually did or didn’t do. Beat her to the punch. List the drugs, list the dates and apologize for it. What else can they do to you then? Do not use the word “culture.” You did the steroids, not the culture.
2. Thank the team for coming and apologize for being such a distraction … again.
3. Make some kind of grand gesture to get the public on your side. Say you will donate those bonus payments for the home run plateaus to charity. Or announce that every kid at every Boys and Girl Club in America can go to a game free on you if they sign a pledge not to do drugs. Whatever it is, make some sort of financial gesture.
4. Don’t sit up there for an hour, but answer a reasonable amount of questions. I find many of the questions people think he “needs” to answer to be inconsequential. But he does have to be accountable to some degree.
5. At the end say, “Out of respect for my teammates and our upcoming season, this is the last time I will talk about this subject. Only baseball from here on out.” Then stick to that.
6. Try and act like a normal person for the rest of the year. Stay off the gossip pages. Fire all those advisors and listen to your conscience. Treat people the way you’d like to be treated. Say what is on your mind, not what you think you should say.
Very good. I like these. Especially numbers 1 and 3. I think in order to avoid further damage when the book comes out on April 14, A-Rod needs to confess to everything. I also like Pete’s idea that A-Rod will donate his bonuses to charity, or makes promises for boys and girls. This would really help A-Rod a lot. Seriously.