In celebration of the new Stadium, which will host its first regular-season game today at 1:05 p.m. with CC Sabathia’s pitch to Grady Sizemore…here are a few links to peruse:
- Derek Jeter has spent most of his adult life calling Yankee Stadium his place of business. Starting today, the shortstop has a new place to go to work. Mark Feinstand writes more…
- Says Mike Lupica: “The official opening of the new Yankee Stadium will be a monument to everything the Yankees are and everything they used to be and everything they still want to be.”
- We cannot live without the Bleacher Creatures, and they aren’t too happy with section 203, says Filip Bondy.
- George Steinbrenner has been seen in the public less and less the last two-three years. Today he’s making an appearance, and deservedly so. Bill Madden has more…
- Berra will throw out the ceremonial first pitch Thursday afternoon to open the new Yankee Stadium. Joe Lapointe has more about the 83-year-old former backstop.
- No feature of the original Yankee Stadium defined its architectural look more than the gently curving frieze that crowned the upper deck. And it’s back in the new Stadium. Read more from Richard Sandomir.
- MLB.com will start its live programming of the unveiling of the Yankee Stadium at 10:15am.
For those of you who can…make sure you can watch the game online or in person, or on television. I’m just pissed off I cannot because I’m a high school teacher in Baltimore Oriole country and my school’s internet firewall prevents live video streaming. I’ll have to check the score updates online instead.