ESPN is reporting that former NY Mets closer Billy Wagner waived his no trade clause right before Tuesday’s deadline to complete a deal that would send him to Boston.  The Mets and the Red Sox have agreed to trade Wagner for 2 players to be named later.  Boston will be responsible for the remaining $3.5 Million owed to Wagner this season and have agreed not to exercise the team option for next season.

Wagner had refused to waives his no trade clause if he wouldn’t have the opportunity to become a free agent after this season.  Wagner reportedly wanted to be a part of a team that had a chance in the playoffs this season, but even more then that, wanted an opportunity to become a closer again next season.

The Red Sox have the most obnoxious baseball player in the game as a closer, Jonathan Papelbon.

Wagner originally wanted Boston to guarantee they wouldn’t pick up the team option for $8 million or offer him salary arbitration, which meant if he wanted to sign elsewhere, that team would have to give Boston a 1st and 2nd round draft pick as compensation.  Apparently Wagner has agreed to let that part slide in order to have the deal go through.

The 38 year-old closer has missed the last year while recovering from Tommy John surgery on his pitching elbow.  The left-hander is technically still in rehab and is expected to only pitch an inning or two every three days for the remainder of the season.

Wagner has said he wants to become a part of the 400 save club, right now he has 385.  He has also said he would like to pass John Franco, the former Met, as the all-time left-handed saves leader with 424.