Rob Neyer put together a list of the 100 best baseball players of the decade, and quite a few Yankees are on this list.
- Alex Rodriguez ranked as the second best player in the decade, behind only Albert Pujols.
- Derek Jeter came in at number four. Barry Bonds was between the two.
- Jorge Posada comes in at number 15. He was the top ranked catcher on the list.
- The Great Mariano Rivera checks in at number 24, the highest ranked reliever.
- CC Sabathia was right behind him at number 25, and Johnny Damon not far off at number 32.
- Mark Teixeira was named the 43rd best player of the decade despite not making his debut until 2003.
- Reliable southpaw Andy Pettitte comes in right at the halfway mark, number 50.
- Former Yanks: Abreu (16), Randy Johnson (18), Jason Giambi (19), Javy Vazquez (29), Gary Sheffield (34), Mike Mussina (35), Pudge Rodriguez (41), Roger Clemens (42).
That’s seven players on the Yanks 40-man roster that rank among the 50 best players of the last ten years. Including former players, 17 members of the decade’s 50 best players have worn pinstripes in that time.